Indded :-) Thank you for the exhaustive reply. Knowing houdini well too it
seems to awkward to not be able to copy some polygons and uv's from one
object to another. I've now taken the hard edges out of the equation by
disconnecting them. But is "Copy Texture Projection from Source"
fundamentally broken or am I doing something wrong?

best regards,
Fabian