For future reference I've found a stupid work around.

I copy the geometry over via ice's clone polygon mesh, keeping the old uv's
and projection untouched (all uv's are at 0,0,0 at this point)
Then I open the texture editor with the donor mesh, ctrl+a, ctrl+c then
move to the receing mesh and in the texture editor ctrl+v. And it actually
works.

Mesh+uv's transplanted and error prone re-wiring of all partitions and
expressions avoided ;-) Good night.

-Fabian