Byron,

You’re interpreting this correctly. I’m guessing that you’ve moved the pivot
for a particular rotation behavior now you want that pivot to zero to another
object. But when you zero object translation its not moving the pivot (and
object) to align the pivot to its parent. This is normal. Maya pivots do not
have a 1:1 relationship to the way Softimage works.

Pivots in Maya are typically used for scale and rotation adjustment. Unlike
Soft which also includes position. However, it’s just easier to “ignore” the
pivot altogether and create a hierarchy from nulls. Use this hierarchy to
manage your articulations and respective locations. For example:

Make a new null for every position/pivot offset you need. Leave the actual
pivots alone. Rely on them to insure zero relativity.
 Null_Position
                Null_position_offset
                                Null_Rotate
                                                Null_whatever
                                                                Null_geometry

Reposition the relevant nulls to accomplish the articulations that you require.
Place the geometry at the end of the cascade. If you need to make adjustment in
the middle, remove everything after the node you want to adjust, change its
translation, and then put the rest of the hierarchy back under that node.
Unparent becomes your friend. Working from a null hierarchy like this gives you
more control, but is more time consuming and structure intensive. It is also
more reliable upon export. But you will find it easier to work with.

Softimage spoiled us.

--
Joey Ponthieux
LaRC Information Technology Enhanced Services (LITES II)