well taht was / IS strongest point of Softimage for me as well.
With Maya I felt always on glass legs waiting when whole thing will go down
crumbling and breaking.
With SI I sometimes even do dirty fast work get things done more then half
way then tweak and polish all the way back without much problems.
With low budget and low time at hand it is hard to get things properly so
going dirty fast way then polishing as much as time and budget allows works
perfectly.