No.  You're mixing two separate thoughts together.

The first few messages which started this thread mentioned a spherical
projection doesn't work at the poles because of the usual distortion, and
the sphere was modified.

My comment of the viewport issue was targeting the spherical projection at
the poles being distorted.  I ran some experiments using spherical
projection on various meshes and discovered that while the projection looks
messed up in the viewports, it will render cleanly (without distortion) if
you capture it using rendermap.  If you export that captured image to Unity,
there shouldn't be any issue.  Therefore don't worry about spherical mapping
distortion visible in the viewports because the issue is confined to
Softimage.

Your plugin is a different issue.  As polygons are added/removed, as shown
in your video, random parts of the texture space are assigned to the new
polygons.  You answered the question by stating you're using a random seed,
and therefore not attempting to put the correct UVs into that new polygon.

Matt