Well, unfortunatelly soft crashes everytime I try to import this alembic
mesh from houdini... so I went for objs.

And I'm afraid I can't merge them in Soft because a) it will take quite
some time as the whole geo is dense and b) I'd have to leave a gap between
the pieces or else any adjacent pieces would get merged together... and I
want them to be single pieces.

is that an export thing ? Because it works nicely inside houdini...