I hate to sound inflexible in my views but Houdini is such a powerful
application because of its technical approach.

Just because Softimage is no longer available and Maya is ‘problematic’ (to say
the least) shouldn’t mean that SideFX should have to change their development
strategy.

I believe that SideFX have in fact done a fantastic job of listening to
customers that have moved to Houdini from other packages including Softimage.
The speed with which they implemented a suggested change ref dropping VOP nodes
over wires the other day is a fine example of that. But there‘s a danger of
allowing the ‘tail to wag the dog’ so that Houdini gets changed for the worse
rather than the better. I think SideFX have the balance of things pretty much
spot on. There’s still huge improvements that can be made to the
approachability of certain aspects of the user experience but I it’s never
going to transform into something radically different to what’s available
today. If anything, with so much of Houdini moving away from Hscript style
expressions to VEX expressions (for very good reason - multithreaded
performance) certain aspects of the Houdini user experience are in fact getting
more technical.

The best way to learn how to adapt to Houdini is first to accept it for what it
is. And part of the Houdini user experience has always been scripting and
programming. That’s why it’s so often described as a 3d operating system rather
than a DCC.

Apologies for spelling things out so bluntly but I can’t see Houdini evolving
into something less technical.