just tried the trail for simlab on an export
it seems to have issues, looks like the connecting nurb meshes are cleaner,
just some parts are fairly noisy, and still non manifold issues
would probably be easier if I didn't have to actually set up UV's for this
thing. the maya UV tools don't work on these non-manifold things

although it seems if I import an obj over and fbx, mesh - cleanup doesn't
mess up the object normals, so that's weird
doing maya 2017 update 4, maybe something will be fixed

also
does anyone know if the cheaper simlab composer pro $200 is all that's
needed for exporting files?