      From: Matt Lind <speye...@hotmail.com>
 To: "softimage@listproc.autodesk.com" <softimage@listproc.autodesk.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 5:06 PM
 Subject: Re: end of another era

A lot of people don't know this, but mental ray received a HUGE update last
year with acceleration as much as 20x for global illumination and related.
The version that ships with Softimage didn't receive this update, of course.

After acquiring mental ray, Nvidia let it rot for a few years before
deciding they should put effort into it after all, then put significant work
into it, but not until after many people went to other options.

As much flak as people put towards mental ray, it's actually a very good
renderer, but it requires you have knowledge of raytracing algorithms to
make best use of it.