* A CoreDescriptor taking a null multicore instance is fine because
there is no multicore at all.

Then we should, at a minimum, add a no-arg constructor, or at least document it can take null. Maybe then the name of the class is wrong. Class names are meaningful. And the name CoreDescriptor doesn't strike me as the place to hold Multicore. Overall, however, this reeks of the bigger problem in that we treat 1 core as a special case instead of it being Multicore with
only a single core.

In SOLR-695, all Cores (and CoreDescriptors) will require a valid CoreContainer (MultiCore) -- passing null will not be an option.

ryan