: I would strongly prefer a released version of Lucene. We made some changes
: to Solr 1.1 that required tweaks inside of Lucene, and it was quite a
: treasure hunt to a suitable set of Lucene source.

The precise source of all dependencies is identified in CHANGES.txt
(Hmmm... ok, aparently Grant didn't do that when he commited
SOLR-572/r669485 but it is recorded in the MANIFEST, and i will fix
CHANGES.txt)

: It just seems wrong for Solr to release a version of Lucene.

"Solr" doesn't release anything ... the Apache Lucene PMC releases Solr,
and Lucene-Java

-Hoss