The jars aren't checked in to the example. The thing is, the extraction stuff is a contrib and not on by default and not packaged into the WAR. DIH currently does package into the WAR, but I don't think contribs should do that.

Frankly, I think the better answer is an overhaul of the examples directory, like we discussed in the "clean up" thread that is also taking place. Keep the main example nice and simple, and then have more organized other examples.