There is nothing wrong with features that appear to be automagical - that
should in fact be a goal for all modern software systems. Of course, there
is no magic, it's all real logic and any magic is purely appearance - it's
just that the underlying logic may be complex and not obvious to an
uninformed observer. Deliberately hiding information from users (e.g.,
implementation details) is indeed a goal for Solr - no mere mortal should
be exposed to the intricate detail of the underlying Lucene search library
or the apparent magic of edismax. In truth, nothing is hidden - the source
code of both Solr and Lucene are readily available. But to the user it may
(and should) appear to magical and even automagical.

OTOH, maybe some of the doc on edismax was not as clear as it could have
been, in which case it is up to you to point out which specific passage(s)
caused your difficulty. AFAICT, nothing at all was hidden - the examples in
the doc (which I pointed you to) seem very simple and direct to the point.
If you experienced them otherwise, it is up to you to point out any
problems that you had. And as I pointed out, you had started with the old
wiki when you should have started with the current Solr Reference Guide.

The old edismax wiki should in fact have a tombstone warning that indicates
that it is obsolete and redirect people to the new doc. Out of curiosity,
how did you get to that old wiki page in the first place?

-- Jack Krupansky