Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your response! I tried

"Try this:
1> insure docValues=true for the field. You’ll have to re-index all your
docs. "

I tried the above approach as you recommended, the performance was getting
better, reduced about 3 seconds.

Then I tested on a new cloud server with local SSD for one core on Solr, the
performance was great.
With 50000 rows to retrieve, the response time was 0.2s, which is better
than our acceptance criteria :-)
So happy.  Thank you!

=================testing====================
 wget -O output.txt
'http://localhost:8983/solr/s_entry/select?fl=pdb_id,score&q=human&start=0&rows=50000'
--2019-03-25 10:23:21--
http://localhost:8983/solr/s_entry/select?fl=pdb_id,score&q=human&start=0&rows=50000
Resolving localhost (localhost)... ::1, 127.0.0.1
Connecting to localhost (localhost)|::1|:8983... connected.
Length: unspecified [application/json]
Saving to: 'output.txt'

output.txt                                                                 [
<=>

]   2.90M  16.1MB/s    in 0.2s