Glad it’s working out for you. There are a couple of things here that bear a
bit more investigation.

Using SSDs shouldn’t materially affect the response if:

1> the searcher is warmed. Before trying your query, execute a few queries like
“q="some search that hits a log of docs"&sort=myfield asc”

2> Your Solr instance isn't swapping.

What’s not making sense is that once docValues are read into memory, there is
_no_ disk access necessary, assuming the DV structure for the field has not
been swapped out.

Things that may be getting in the way:

- you are asking for _any_ fields to be returned that are not docValues

- you are not getting the docValues (useDocValuesAsStored=true)

- your Solr instance is swapping. DocValues data is kept in the OS memory
space, see:
http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html

- you haven’t warmed up your searchers to read these values off disk before you
measure.

Your results are in line with expectations, but can’t account for the
difference between your old system and new. Perhaps when you re-indexed you had
some docValues that weren’t before?

FWIW,
Erick