>  8 queries against 1 Tomcat average 600ms per query, while 8 queries
against
> 8 Tomcats average 190ms per query (on a dedicated 8 CPU server w 32G RAM).
>  I don't see how to interpret these numbers except that Tomcat is not
> multithreading as well as it should :)

Hi Michael, I think it is very natural; 8 single processes not sharing
anything are faster than 8 threads sharing something.

However, 600ms is too high.

>My index is on a
>ramfs which I've shown makes the QR and doc caches unnecessary;

However, SOLR is faster than pure Lucene, try SOLR caches!

(I am not sure about current version of SOLR(Lucene), but Lucene always used
synchronized isDeleted() method which causes 'serialization').