Hi Fuad,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Fuad Efendi <f...@efendi.ca> wrote:

> >  8 queries against 1 Tomcat average 600ms per query, while 8 queries
> against
> > 8 Tomcats average 190ms per query (on a dedicated 8 CPU server w 32G
> RAM).
> >  I don't see how to interpret these numbers except that Tomcat is not
> > multithreading as well as it should :)
>
> Hi Michael, I think it is very natural; 8 single processes not sharing
> anything are faster than 8 threads sharing something.

8 threads sharing something may have *some* overhead versus 8 processes, but
as you say, 410ms overhead points to a different problem.

However, 600ms is too high.

> >My index is on a
> >ramfs which I've shown makes the QR and doc caches unnecessary;
>
> However, SOLR is faster than pure Lucene, try SOLR caches!

I have.  In a separate test, I verified that the caches that save disk I/O
(QR and doc) make no difference to query time, because my index is on a
ramfs.  The caches that save CPU cycles (filter and fieldvalue, because I'm
doing heavy faceting) DO help and I do have them turned on.

Michael