I see. It's still a little confusing to me but I'm fine as long as
this is the expected behavior. I also tried the "example" index
with data that come with the solr distribution and observe the
same behavior - only String fields are displayed. So Lucene is
sharing _some_ types with Solr but not all. It's still a bit puzzling
to me that Lucene is not able to understand the simple types
such as long. But I'm OK as long as there is a reason. Thanks
for the explanations!