For me, a side-affect of 'example' is that it's just that, not appropriate for
production. But also, there's the organisation factor beyond Solr that is about
staff expertise - we don't have any systems that utilise jetty so we're
unfamiliar with its configuration, issues, or oddities. Tomcat is our defacto
container so it makes sense for us to implement Solr within Tomcat.

If we ruled out these reasons, I'd still be looking for a container that:
- was a standalone installation (i.e., outside of Solr tarball) so that it
would be "managed" via yum (we run on RHEL). This separates any issues of Solr
from issues of jetty, which given a current lack of jetty knowledge would be a
helpful thing.
- the container service could be managed via standard SysV startup processes.
To be fair, I've implemented our own for Tomcat and could do this for jetty,
but I'd prefer jetty included this (which would suggest it is more prepared for
enterprise use).
- Likewise, I assume all of jetty's configuration can be reset to use normal
RHEL /etc/ and /var/ directories, but I'd prefer that jetty did this for me (to
demonstrate again it's enterprise-ready status).

Yes, I could do all the necessary bespoke configuration so that jetty follows
the above reasons, but because I'd have to I question if it's ready for our
enterprise setup (which mainly means that our Operations team will fight
against unusual configurations).

Having added all of this, I have to admit that I like the idea of using jetty
because you guys tell me that Solr is affectively pre-configured for jetty. But
then I'd want to know what in particular these jetty configurations were!

BTW Very pleased that this is being discussed - the views can help me argue our
case to use jetty if it is indeed more beneficial to do so.

Gil