In our case, it is because all our other applications are deployed on
Tomcat and ops is familiar with the deployment process. We also had
customizations that needed to go in, so we inserted our custom JAR into the
solr.war's WEB-INF/lib directory, so to ops the process of deploying Solr
was (almost, except for schema.xml or solrconfig.xml changes) identical to
any of the other apps. But I think if Solr becomes a server with clearly
defined extension points (such as dropping your custom JARs into lib/ and
custom configuration in conf/solrconfig.xml or similar like it already is)
then it will be treated as something other than a webapp and the
expectation that it runs on Tomcat will not apply.

Just my $0.02...

Sujit