On 12.11.13 04:54, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
Hello,

I keep seeing here and on Stack Overflow people trying to deploy
Solr to Tomcat. We don't usually ask why, just help when where we can.

But the question happens often enough that I am curious. What is the
actual business case. Is that because Tomcat is well known? Is it
because other apps are running under Tomcat and it is ops'
requirement? Is it because Tomcat gives something - to Solr - that
Jetty does not?

It might be useful to know. Especially, since Solr team is considering
making the server part into a black box component. What use cases will
that break?

So, if somebody runs Solr under Tomcat (or needed to and gave up), let's
use this thread to collect this knowledge.

Regards,
Alex.

What if Solr is a part of a bigger application to be deployed by
a party that knows how to deploy tomcat (or any other generic
servlet container) and drop .war file in the right place ? Making Solr
available only as a stand-alone component that requires separate
deployment makes it much harder for the end user, no matter how
black-boxy Solr is made.

lukasz

 Lukasz Salwinski                             PHONE:        310-825-1402
 UCLA-DOE Institute for Genomics & Proteomics   FAX:        310-206-3914
 UCLA, Los Angeles                            EMAIL: luk...@mbi.ucla.edu