Hi,

Reading that people have considered deploying "example" folder is slightly
strange to me. No wonder they are confused and confuse their ops. We just
took vanilla jetty (jetty9) and installed solr.war on it, configured it, no
example folders at all. Since then it works nicely.

The main reason for us to get away from tomcat, that we have used
originally, was that it felt too heavy for running a Solr webapp, which
isn't using anything Tomcat-specific. In older versions (tomcat6) it would
leak memory and threads. We knew, that jetty is mature enough and is
lighter and used at large companies, like Google. This was convincing
enough to try.

We are still using Tomcat for other webapps, specifically for clustering
and load balancing between webapp instances, but that is not needed for our
Solr installation at this point.

Regards,

Dmitry
Blog: http://dmitrykan.blogspot.com