On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 09:19:10AM -0700, Gary Funck wrote:
> - how has Vipul's Razor been working for you? I saw some reports about VR
> taking a long time to process incoming messages. We don't have a lot of mail
> traffic here, so that may not be an issue, but we'd like to know in advance
> if there are going to be problems.

It works fairly well for me, but there are times where the servers are
either unavailable or take too long to respond so that SA times out
the connection.

Since 6/1, out of 4711 spams, 3097 were in Razor.

> - I'm a bit confused regarding the distinction between Razor, and Razor2. I
> added the Razor package via CPAN, but I see from e-mail traffic on this list
> that if I'm running SA version 2.41, I should go to Razor2? I did see a
> installation warning message similar to the one excerpted above when I tried
> installing SA version 2.41, so I'm pretty sure that I don't have Razor2 yet.

It comes down from the version and/or module name.  "Razor" is Razor
version 1, where the module name is "Razor".  "Razor2" has the module name
"Razor2" and is Razor version 2.

Basically, if you have razor-agents 1.x, you have Razor/Razor1.
If you razor-agents 2.x, you have Razor2.  You can find out by running
spamassassin in Debug mode, it'll tell you.

> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/razor/razor-agents-2.14.tar.gz?download
> and whether Razor is the same thing as "Razor Agents" - I assume that they
> are (I haven't yet dived into the Razor documentation.)

Yes.  Razor-agents is the client pack to the Razor system (whose code
is not publically available).  By having razor-agents 2.14 installed,
you by definition have Razor2.  (see above.)

> - Assuming that I've installed Razor Agents version 2.14 above, what steps
> do I need to take to enable Razor in SA? (I fished around in the INSTALL

In SA, none (you'll have to restart spamd if you're using it).
The modules are automatically used if they exist.

You will want to follow the Razor install guide though.  Basically,
run "razor-admin -create", then "razor-admin -register" (if you want to
report spam).  You can see the instructions in Razor's INSTALL document.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"As a competitor, we might be better off if they shipped it."