> Ok, that's valid as long as your perl knows to look there.  Is the
> directory listed under "@INC" in "perl -V"?

Yes.

> You installed the CVS version of SA?

That's correct. "spamd" in 2.41 wouldn't recognize the -H option, and I
couldn't find it in the documentation, so I tried 2.50, where it worked
OK.

> Sounds like an environment issue.  Maybe different perl binaries?

Shouldn't be. The version invoked at the top of "spamd" is the same one
listed by "which", and as far as I can see I don't have any others.

> I always start spamd via:
>       su - -c "/etc/rc.d/init.d/spamassassin start"
>
> To give me root's default (minimal) environment.  That way all of my
> settings don't taint the situation.

Well, in my case the "su - -c" is in the init.d script itself, but
otherwise I do the same. Perhaps oddly, it doesn't make any difference
whether I use "su -" or just "su".