> The only reason Microsoft OS' are perceived as being so insecure
> (well, they do have their faults) are because of the large installed
> base.  When a vulnerability is found, because of all the machines
> running it, the impact is felt more.

I don't suppose anything like CodeRed comes to mind and the myriad variants
thereof...

> Nobody would claim that *nix operating systems have no security
> vulnerabilities at all.  When a Linux flaw is found, it circulates among
> the Linux admins, but the press doesn't bother creating the media
> stir because, who cares, Linux has a small installed base (I'm just
> saying what the press would be thinking).

Nobody sane would claim that anything connected to the open Internet is
unbreakable.  But Unix gets pretty close (OpenBSD comes to mind -- and it's
not just because it comes packaged with everything turned off).  The Open
Source community, in my humble opinion, has been known to release security
patches within four hours.  I don't think the same could be said of
Microsoft who -- just recently, btw -- released a certified Windows update
that screwed up network connectivity for 600,000+ users.  And this is from a
company that claimed Open Source doesn't work because they don't have the
funding for R&D or quality assurance.  Right.

> But, just like a good Linux admin can take steps to protect their
> system from unknown flaws, like by removing components they
> don't actually need, good Windows admins can do the same,
> and have been for years.

I think this argument is comparing apples and oranges.  You're taking a toy
operating system (Windows) and comparing it to something that was designed
to run in a mission critical environment (*nix) and even less than perfect
hardware (think back to the 70's).  Between Microsoft and Unix developers,
you have two conflicting schools of thought.  On the one hand, the
developers focus on a monolithic do-all design that results in huge binaries
and hundreds of thousands of lines of bug-infested code.  On the other, you
have the developers who write small tools designed for a specific task
(qmail comes to mind).  Less code = fewer bugs.  This is probably why the
security conscious tend to disable MTAs like sendmail...

But again, I'm looking at my cheesy copy of Outlook Express while I write
this and another thought comes to mind.  Perhaps the happy-go-lucky
clickable interface makes screwing something important up much easier.  In
UNIX, if you don't know what your doing, you're more likely to either have
nothing work because you can't fix it -- or because you were stupid enough
to listen to the BOFH in the cube next door who said, "Yeah, to get
super-user privs, just type rm -rf /"

Go figure...