You're correct; most hacks are internal.  And there are other precautions
that need to be taken there; your servers, for example, should be just as
firewalled from your internal network as from the external.

As for things like nimda, this is where the enterprise virus scanners come
in.

A total solution can obviate a lot of 'threats' before they even become
threats.  Yes, you need to keep your patches up to date, but it shouldn't be
a 'ooh, new patch, deploy it across the entire network NOW' process.  The
'four hours to a patch' number for OSS isn't a good thing, in my opinion; it
often means that somebody slapped in some code, and it compiled.  That's
nice; that's not a patch.  It hasn't been regression tested, for example.
Look at time to *deployment*, not time to 'released to the Internet at
large.*

Muskoka.com
115 Manitoba Street
Bracebridge, Ontario