> The *only* way to pull that off is to totally ignore security updates
> (and the subsequent reboot).  No thanks. :)

Yes, and for an internal machine, properly firewalled and segmented from the
public internet, this is a perfectly acceptable practice.

Folks, lets not forget that the UNIX world *pioneered* lame security
practices; typing 'debug' or 'wizard' into a sendmail session, for example?
Gaining root through lpr? And so on?  Nowadays, you read articles about how
bloated Windows is; back in the day, you read articles about how bloated
Solaris was/is.  The UNIX world has just had an extra twenty years to get
their stuff together.

That, coupled with the fact that MS markets too much power to the uneducated
masses (the patches for nimda and slammer, for example, existed MONTHS
before the actual worms came out) means that MS gets blamed for the user's
faults.  Then, when they try to fix things, or do things like automatic
patching, they get accused of Big Brotherishness or 'if it needs to be
patched so often, it must suck!' Meanwhile, ask why, say, Debian is such an
awesome Linux dist, it's because a) it has brain-dead simple
patching/updating via apt-get, and b) it uses really old versions of all the
software, which has fewer security holes.

Fair disclosure: I use Debian for exactly those reasons.  If I was just a
bit more paranoid/concerned, I'd use FreeBSD.  Or something like Trusted
Solaris or another B2 (old) classification system, using hardware which
supports the security features.  If I was interested in real uptime, I'd be
using a mainframe; those who scoff at UNIX year long uptimes because it's
measured in decades on a proper mainframe.