> They are more of an annoyance and can easily be thwarted with
> a compotent admin that keeps up with his security updates.
> It's the inside jobs that are the kickers.  Those are the
> serious threat.  It's all fun. :)

I think that's the long and short of it right there.  Any OS can be secure
just so long as you keep up to date with all the released patches.  *nix
systems get security patches more often than MS, I've heard, but for the
most part I'd wager that *nix admins are more vigilant in keeping up to
date.

Code Red, Nimda, etc etc wouldn't have been as bad if the people running
those boxes had bothered to apply the patches that had been out for months
in advance.

By way of example, consider how much easier life would be if all the brain
dead admins (MS and *nix alike) running open-relay systems would take the
time to close those up.  Spam levels would drop and the open-relay
blacklists would be empty. :)