Kenneth,
Here is my original response to this editor.

Hello,
I recently read your article on:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/11/14/45FEspam_2.html

I just need to say a few things, First of all, why did you use such an old
version of SpamAssassin?

You compared last years SpamAssassin with this years spam, of cource you
will not see good results!  Programs need to be updated!

I bet you downloaded the newest and greatest versions of all those
commercial packages, why didn't you update SpamAssassin to it's newest
version?

I am sure SpamAssassin would have done much better than those commercial
packages if the admin knew how to properly use it.

SpamAssassin 2.4 is really out-dated, it's missing Bayes and thousands of
other fixes that make it a better product.

I had a good laugh on your article, you say "Spend the 10 or 20 per month
per year for one of the commercial services", sir Dialup ISPs only receive
10-20 per month from their clients, how are we supposed to afford everything
else when all our money goes to commercial e-mail services which we can do
for free on our own in our spare time?