On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Rubin Bennett wrote:

> This is the Wrong Answer!!!
> Speaking as someone who uses such a "Dynamically Assigned" IP, I can
> tell you I'd be royally pissed if Adelphia started blocking outbound
> port 25 traffic.  Here's why:
> I have a laptop running Linux that I use for most of my email
> correspondance.  I use sendmail on this machine as my outbound mail
> server.  Why?
> I use this machine all over the darned place, and got *really* tired of
> having to reconfigure my email client every time I go to a different
> client site (I often visit 4-5 in a day).

I don't understand.  Why aren't you implementing SASL user authentication
on your ISP SMTP server?  You could use it from anywhere at all if you
did.  Covad did earlier this year.  Earthlink is doing it now too.
It's great for my wife and me, who used to have to reconfigure outgoing
SMTP every time we left the house.

I run my own mail server, and I'm in the process of setting up user
authentication.  (I run my server from a business DSL line with servers
specifically authorized in the TOS, and a /29 subnet.
<http://www.whiteoaks.com/about.html>)

On the flip side ...

Last year I found my Windows 2000 desktop machine doing lots of network
activity, and within hours got a notice from the abuse department at
Covad that my machine was generating spam.  I cleaned up the machine
of course, but the first thing I did was block outgoing port 25 on my
router for everything but my Linux server.  So when the next virus worms
its way into a Windows machine it can't do that particular damage.

It can happen to the best of us.

Mojo
--
Morris Jones         <*>