Discussion spawned by my v1 Verbatim proposal [1] seems to have died
down, so here's a v2.  Changes since v1:

* Renamed from ‘Verbatim’ to ‘GNUVerbatim’ to allow for other verbatim
  names in the future (e.g. if someone wants to register [2] as
  GNUVerbatimWeb [3] or wants to register non-GNU verbatim license).
* Suggested <alt> tags to match the wording used by the GNU CC General
  Public License [4,5] or non-license documents.

# Motivation

The GPL family of licenses (e.g. [6]) and some other documents
(e.g. [7]) are licensed under a verbatim license (canonical text
attached).  The GNU CC General Public License (1988) was also released
under very similar language [4].  I propose we add this license with
markup like:

  …copies of this <alt name="doc" match="license|document|license
  document">license document</alt>, but …

so we can express all of those closely related licenses with the
GNUVerbatim short ID without resorting to custom LicenseRef-*.

# Scope

I believe [2] is sufficiently different, e.g. mentioning royalties and
medium.  If/when it gets an SPDX ID, I think that ID should be
distinct from the one I'm proposing here.

In my v1 proposal [1], I'd also floated adding a field to our license
XML to express the license which applies to the license itself, as
concluded by the SPDX legal team.  That opened up significant
subsequent discussion, which was interesting, but fairly tangential to
this proposal.  I'd like to keep the v2 discussion focused on whether
we want a GNUVerbatim entry in the SPDX license list, and we can
circle back around and decide whether we want to use that identifier
ourselves in follow-up work.

# Registration metadata

Proposed full name: GNU Verbatim License
Proposed short identifier: GNUVerbatim
OSI approved: no (and it clearly does not support the OSI's derived
  works condition [8]).

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://lists.spdx.org/pipermail/spdx-legal/2017-September/002156.html