On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 02:26:10PM -0500, Kate Stewart wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 2:15 PM, W. Trevor King wrote:
> > I have a repository that contains two files with content under the
> > GNUVerbatim license [1,2] (as well as some content by Linus,
> > presumably under the GPL-2.0 or a later version at the discretion
> > of Linus) [3].  I'd like to track the licensing information for
> > those files/snippets without using LicenseRef-*.  Is that a
> > use-case the SPDX wants to enable or not?
>
> The legal team reviewed and approved "Linux-syscall-note" to be used
> "WITH" licenses, that should be able to handle the kernel case.  ie.
>
> SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0 WITH Linux-syscall-note

The syscall note is from the kernel [1] (“NOTE! This copyright does
*not* cover user programs…”).  The extra information in my repository
is originally from Git [2] (“Note that the only valid version of the
GPL as far as this project is concerned…).  It's basically suggested
wording for “GPL-2.0 OR GPL-3.0+ PROXY "Linus Torvalds"” declarations
if authors want to declare that.  An example of that declaration in
the wild is in [3].  As far as I known, none of the content in my
signed-off-by repository falls under it, although obviously Linus is
free to offer any of his content (some of which is in signed-off-by)
under whichever licenses he wants without needing an explicit PROXY
declaration.

Cheers,
Trevor

p.s. In the above, I've used the PROXY syntax which I'd floated in
[4].  That's not a legal license expression (yet?), and I'm holding
off on further pushing in that direction until the ONLY operator lands
in the spec (which may be never, who knows).  But hopefully the idea
is clear even without a formal doc for PROXY ;).

[1]:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/COPYING?h=v4.13.4#n2
[2]: https://github.com/git/git/blob/v2.14.2/COPYING#L2-L18
[3]: https://github.com/git/git/blob/v2.14.2/git-request-pull.sh#L4-L5