From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kaliya Hamlin
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 3:43 PM
To: specs@openid.net
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Handle "http://[EMAIL PROTECTED]" Style
Identifiers

For starters please don't use Comic Sans in professional correspondence.
it is very hard to read (or take seriously)
http://bancomicsans.com/home.html

On Oct 22, 2006, at 11:44 AM, Praveen Alavilli wrote:

        It's more of a problem with how we can accept 3rd party OpenId
users at AOL (we as an RP). Obviously for simple use cases like leaving
comments on blogs it wouldn't really matter as long as the user is
identified by someone (and someone doing rate limiting or something else
to prevent spamming - otherwise I still can't see how it reduces spam
anyway) - but when we want to take it to the next level - provide more
services to these users (photos/calendar/etc.. ) we want to limit it to
only a few IDPs whom we trust. (due to both security and business
reasons).

This doesn't really work in the model.  The goal is to let anyone set up
their own OpenID and that basically across the OpenID universe it works.
You limiting it to only like verisign or other 'big' IdP's is not really
part of the vision of what we are trying to build.  Obviously behind
this whole network needs to be reputation for IdPs and individual OpenID
addresses.

        So this is the problem we are trying to figure out how we can
message the users that we support OpenIds from certain providers (say
Verisign PIP) but not from all.

This is one way to approach it and I hope you don't do it this way
because it breaks what OpenID is about.

        Another area where we want some more clarification (if it
already exists) or support is about how we can have a persistent handler
(apart from URI) for a given user so it would help in cases when a
user's account gets reclaimed by someone else.

ahh...that is where further reading of what i-names and i-numbers are
about would help.  Because there is another level of indirection built
in, when an i-name is reassigned the i-number below it is not.   This
helps users not have the 'reclaiming by someone else problem' when
depending on URLs.