Hey Dick,

Couldn't one make the opposite argument -- that most people's email address
NOT working when they plug it into the OpenId login field could actually be
a good thing? (especially in the beginning of OpenID)

I say this because such scenarios (user enters email, and RP fails because
the email doesn't yet support open id) might actually be a catalyst for more
people to use OpenId, especially if users start barking at their ISP/email
providers to support OpenId because their email isn't working correctly with
certain sites they want to use.

For example, consider the following two potential scenarios that might go
through a new user's mind when they first encounter OpenId:

Scenario #1 (WITHOUT email allowed in the OpenId login form):
User encounters an "openid enabled" site (RP ==> example.com), and decides
they are curious about this new "way" to login (simplifying, I know -- but
we're talking about a simple user).  The user pretty quickly realizes that
they need to somehow secure an Identity URL.  The typical user (my parents,
e.g.) might be inclined to say: "all my other (non-openid) sites require my
email address (usually) as a username.  Plus, since example.com still
supports email address based username+passwords anyway, why not just
continue to use that?"  Thus, the novice user who fails to see the benefits
of OpenId might just decide against OpenId because of the perceived
difficulties in using it, especially in the beginning when OpenId adoption
will be gaining traction, but not the majority method used for site login.

Scenario #2 (WITH email allowed in the OpenId login form):  User encounters
an "openid enabled" site, and decides they are curious about the new "way"
to login.  If their email domain supports OpenId, then there's really no
reason for a novice user NOT to use OpenId -- it works with the email
address.

On the other hand, if the RP determines that the specified email address
doesn't support OpenId, it (the RP) then comes back to the User with an
educational page explaining why the email doesn't work, perhaps with a "call
your email provider and encourage them to adopt openid...and here's why".

Anyway, this might be a different perspective on whether or not the ["oops,
your login didn't work"] is a bad thing.