[re-sending in plain-text]

Many sites allow users to register for services using an e-mail address.
  Often such sites require the user to verify ownership of the e-mail
address by sending an e-mail to the just registered address, but not
always.  When a site allows such a registration they also request the
user to create a password.  So users can access "service" by providing
e-mail/password -- my guess is that many users use the same password as
required for their actual e-mail account, but I have no idea how many.
People do this all the time.  I know of at least one pretty large portal
that allows it.

If e-mail addresses could be used, sites could lookup the domain using
whatever method is described by OpenId, find the OP and let that collect
the id/password.  If the domain isn't an OP, the site could handle it
locally as a registered e-mail address/identity.

Rich