Mark,

Thanks for saying what we were all thinking.

Ron
Sent from my phone

On Sep 6, 2019, at 9:07 PM, Mark Smith
<markzzzsm...@gmail.com<mailto:markzzzsm...@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019, 09:00 Tom Herbert,
<t...@herbertland.com<mailto:t...@herbertland.com>> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 3:11 PM Robert Raszuk
<rob...@raszuk.net<mailto:rob...@raszuk.net>> wrote:

> Sander,
>
> But this is exactly what both chairs of 6man did with the help of AD long
> time back. You must have missed it !
>
> And below is a link precisely written to address requirement of justifying
> deviation:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-voyer-6man-extension-header-insertion-06<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-voyer-6man-extension-header-insertion-06__;!8WoA6RjC81c!QCUnocXqhwmktJnIOEJVs_z0uIoC21MOFOVAR0vgcgeAgGzg9MirMP7krfiJ6n4a$>

Yes, and that draft was discussed in depth in 6man, a number of issues
were raised, and we haven't heard back from the authors. And this was
not just a case of saying it violates RFC8200, there were specific
reasons given why it isn't robust. So it's correct to say that current
consensus in 6man is that extension header insertion is disallowed.

I also have a nit about that draft. The very first line of the
abstract is "The network operator and vendor community has clearly
indicated that IPv6 header insertion is useful and required." The fact
that somebody _really_ wants their protocol to be adopted by IETF is
hardly going to influence anyone. Obviously, anyone writing a draft
thinks that it is useful and required, it's up to the authors to show
that. Frankly, I think this statement comes off as being condescending
and sets a poor tone for reading the rest of the document.

Yes, it's a appeal to authority.

Earlier versions had 10 or more authors listed. That is also an appeal to
authority.

The draft doesn't say why insertion is considered necessary. There is no
justification presented.

There is no statement that says, "When using IPv6 tunnelling with 128 bit SIDs,
the per packet overhead can become too high." That would be admitting what the
real cause was, and make people question whether using 128 bit SIDs was really
the right decision - as they should.

Considering all that, I would describe this draft as trying to get its proposal
approved through social engineering rather than technical engineering.

Tom