On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 at 13:05, Fernando Gont <fg...@si6networks.com> wrote:

> On 6/9/19 18:32, Chengli (Cheng Li) wrote:
> >
> > But I have a question:
> >
> > Why do these kind of arguments emerge right now instead of 5 years ago?
> > We left the “problem “ for 5 years? And suddenly we notice them? How
> > interesting.
>
> One possibility:
> All this kind of arguments did emerge a long time ago -- NAmely, when
> working on rfc2460bis, which eventually became RFC8200. As a results of
> the problems associated with EH-insertion, there was IETF consensus to
> explicitly ban it in RFC8200. Maybe some 6man'ers were not subscribed to
> the spring wg list, were quite surprised to see documents relying on
> EH-insertion (one ins spring, and another, indirectly, in lsr), and
> hence decided to comment.
>
> Just a guess, though.

It's been clear since RFC 1883, the first IPv6 specification RFC from
December 1995:

"With one exception, extension headers are *not examined or processed
   by any node along a packet's delivery path*, until the packet reaches
   the node (or each of the set of nodes, in the case of multicast)
   identified in the Destination Address field of the IPv6 header."

Similar text goes back to the SIPP spec from 1994 when EHs were called
"optional headers":

"With one exception, optional headers are not examined or processed by any
node along a packet's delivery path, until the packet reaches the node (or
set of nodes, in the case of multicast) identified in the Destination
Address field of the SIPP header."

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipp-spec-00

It was more specifically explained in RFC 8200 only because some
people were claiming that the meaning of "examined" or "processed" are
ambiguous.