Tom,

> Bear in mind that quality discussion is real work by those
> participating. It is a lot of effort to carefully read drafts, give
> clear feedback, and respond to rebuttals. I would like to think that
> the work individuals put in is justified by the outcome, and I assume
> it the chairs prerogative to steer the discussion as necessary to
> drive towards a discernible outcome in a finite amount of time.

Absolutely.
Unfortunately the IETF process is open to attacks.
It appears that something akin to a proxy war is being fought.
Some things has to be in place for a consensus based process to work,
which looks to be missing here.

While the chairs have some tools to their disposition; for this to work
it requires the actors and the whole community to respect and
self-police that process.

How frustrating it may be for the spectators,
letting it play out may be the best option we got.

Best regards,
Ole