As an operator I have to admit – I always have slight concerns when people
start referring to these limited domain applications – and here is why.

Many networks – including the one I run at the moment – are segregated for a
host of reasons.  Separate IGP levels – a few ASN’s – BGP labeled unicast
stitching etc etc.  All of these networks however are under central control –
and where necessary we stitch across the boundaries (bgp labeled unicast,
binding SID’s etc).

This network splitting and segregation is necessary – but the question then
becomes – how do we define the domain.  Yes – technically we could say within a
single autonomous system.  We could say within a single IGP area – many
different ways to define this – but in reality – each time we have to cross
such a boundary – we have to find a way to stitch – to inter-operate – and to
make both sides of the network talk to each other.  Each time we introduce
methods that are incompatible with each other – the complexity grows – and the
more possibility of leakage between those domains of things that may do harm
grows – because unlike a truly external boundary, the controls between
“internal” boundaries are often more loosely defined for a host of reasons.

For this reason I really prefer to avoid these “limited” domain scenarios that
outright violate other standards – because it can – and does – create
complexity in large networks that by necessity, but it technical,
geo-political, organizational or other reason, have had to “split” the domain –
but still want the end to end functionality.

Thanks

Andrew