I certainly will share the document with the group and hope to tap into the 
knowledge of the list members to make something useful. My intent is to compile 
any individual responses and arrange questions into some logical order as I did 
in the fire alarm contractor guide. Then, once I get something into a draft 
format, post a link to the document and hope folks would provide some 
additional feedback.
 
Once it's done, any other AHJ can simply swap the logo and use at their own 
will or those of you on the private side can share with your local AHJ's to see 
if they could use it. 
 
You've hit below on the exact problem we're facing. When we show up to do a 
fire inspection of a building and ask to see copies of the confidence test 
reports, there seems to be a disconnect. We want to develop this form as well 
as another that explains what the requirements are; expecting that our local 
contractors will also carry copies to use as a basis as to why their prices are 
so much higher. 
 
I can't believe how often I have to explain to a business owner about the 
difference between someone walking through their property to verify that the 
sprinkler heads are 'there' versus actually testing the system by flowing water 
or doing a trip test. That doesn't even touch on the fact of whenever an FDC 
cap comes up missing, they need to backflush or do in internal inspection to 
verify nothing was stuffed inside.   That is if the FDC hasn't been stolen by 
the meth addicts............
 
For those wondering, WA state has adopted NFPA 25 through the legislative 
process by the reference in Table 901.6 of the IFC.
 
David Smith, Deputy Fire Marshal
Vancouver Fire Department
Vancouver, WA
360-759-4408 Office

________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of George Church
Sent: Thu 7/26/2007 7:09 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Questions to ask when selecting a contractor 



with respect to replying off-forum, agreed assuming you'll share the final
product- which looks like you would - thank you!

One of the largest variances we see is when folks ask for an "Inspection"
vrs ITM, which is what they would request if they understood the difference.

Just the "Inspection" portion is not much. From the lack of wrench marks on
20 year old paint on strainers to WMAGs, we can tell that almost every new
inspection account we get has been only "inspected".

Great project to undertake, and thanks for sharing work to date.

glc

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Smith, David
(VFD)
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:56 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Questions to ask when selecting a contractor

I have been asked to develop a bulletin that we can provide to our local
business community that provides them with guidance in selecting a sprinkler
contractor. I completed one for selecting a fire alarm contractor which
includes questions such as, 1) will you need a man lift and will that cost
me extra 2) does your pricing include testing of all duct detectors or 3) is
sensitivity testing of detectors included in your bid, along with all of the
other typical questions regarding business licenses, etc.

In the way that the folks on the alarm list helped me, I am asking the kind
folks on this list to provide in a private email, questions that your
potential clients should ask so that they don't just select the low bid. I
am trying to provide our business community with information so that they
don't get hit with hidden costs after the fact when for instance they're
told that a 5 year flush wasn't part of the contract price after our agency
kicks the confidence test report back as incomplete. This is mainly geared
towards IT&M but will appreciate questions for new installations too.

Even if you don't have a specific question in mind but can relay some
experience or situations that you've come across, I can try to come up with
the question myself.

If you are interested in seeing an example of what I put together for the
fire alarm contractor selection, you can download a copy by following this
link:   http://www.cascadesfpe.org/phpBB2/download.php?id=166

I will be happy to share the document with the anyone that is interested
when it is in a draft format for further comments and suggestions.

Thanks in Advance,

David Smith, Deputy Fire Marshal
Vancouver Fire Department
Vancouver, WA
360-759-4408 Office



_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)


_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to