Most of the grocery stores I see have enough stuff piled outside to make sprinklers warranted. I just did a hardware store and sprinklers were required under the canopy.

At 03:53 PM 2/23/2009, you wrote:

I have a question: Your typical grocery store with exterior canopy, noncombustible or limited-combustible construction. Code is NFPA 13 2007 edition.

8.15.7.2 permits omission of sprinklers if it is non-combustible. In commentary, the book gives a drive up bank windows, and hotel canopies as examples where they would likely be ommitted.

8.15.7.5 says sprinklers are required over areas where combustibles "are stored and handled."

I see grocery stores with and without sprinklers in the outside canopies.

Is placing a pallet of Christmas trees (during Christmas) outside or a pallett of BBQ Briquets during summer ouside constitute "Storage," or "handling of combustibles?"

In your opinion, do these grocery stores meet the criteria for omission?

Forest Wilson
Cherokee Fire
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Todd G. Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, Connecticut
www.fpdc.com
860.535.2080 _______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to