And how many times have I shook my head over what FPEs and PEs and Contractors 
and designers and inspectors and plans reviewers and on and on have put out on 
the street for bid, for review for construction etc.  I've lost count.

You can't lump any one group by name into the realm of incompetent.  
Incompetence is non-discriminatory.  It's everywhere with all kinds of fancy 
letters after the name and sadly it seems to be more of the norm now-a-days 
than the exception.

But sometimes people just miss something and make a mistake.  So that becomes 
an opportunity for education.  I don't know anyone who knows everything there 
is to know about fire protection.  I know a lot of people who know a lot but 
not everything.

And staying a the Holiday Inn Express won't help.  Tried it, with limited 
results.  ;)

Craig L. Prahl, CET   
Fire Protection Specialist
Mechanical Department
CH2MHILL
Lockwood Greene
1500 International Drive
PO Box 491, Spartanburg, SC  29304-0491
Direct - 864.599.4102
Fax - 864.599.8439
[email protected]
http://www.ch2m.com 



On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:57 AM, George Church <[email protected]> wrote:
> Todd, that depends if the fitter had 5 yrs experience 3x or if he had 
> 15 years experience. I'm sure during plan review you've shaken your 
> head over what NICET 3's send out. I saw one where the areas outside 
> the dwelling unit in #13r were residential- including the mechanical 
> room and the owner's archives. That ain't right, but they have the 
> signature of a Level 3. And I just got a copy of another competitor's 
> dwg with a nice little NICET Seal in the title block, as if this makes 
> em a Jr PE or something. Anyone familiar with NICET should know 
> decades ago they banned the use of PE-seal lookalikes. Considering 
> NICET is located in the NSPE's HQ in Alexandria, that's not a surprise.
>
> Mow if a state actually requires passing a test, well, that's a step 
> in the right direction. Grandfathering everyone is like giving 
> everyone in High School a diploma if they change the curriculum. They 
> were here, so they must be students competent to hold a diploma, 
> right? Well, that's the logic of grandfathering everyone. They've been 
> hanging pipe for years, so we assume they know how to do it correctly.
>
> glc
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to