Reasoning from a non-sprinkler proficient PE?  That's self explanatory.  I
haven't the foggiest idea why one would want it.  As I said won't return
calls, bid due shortly.  We're talking 10 PC's in a training classroom,
college like, 2400 sq.ft.  Then there is a second PA in a comm. room that is
300 sq.ft. which I imagine is the servers to run said PC's and connect to
the WWW.  Why both rooms aren't on the same PA I don't know that either.
Suspect PE is working of % of contract.  Also, local gov't work isn't
allowed to be cheap so when wet system prices fall something has to be added
so we last few taxpayers get our moneys worth? This ain't no billion dollar
server farm. There is also a clean agent someplace but I don't know where
and not my scope of work so I really don't care.  But adds to the oddity of
it all.  

Spec reads like a FM-200 or the like but is clearly for the double interlock
PA.  "1. Upon activation of smoke detector energize predischarge strobe and
bell.  2. Activate a time delay sequence and enable abort sequence.  3.
Abort station shall reset the 30 second time delay."

Now technically he never specs an electric/pneumatic.  Could always do
pneumatic/pneumatic to solve the problem.  

I don't like it either but before I start a fight I want to know which side
I'm on. (And just because I might be on the losing side code wise doesn't
mean I won't start it anyway).   

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.
 
763-658-4483
763-658-4921 fax
 
Email: [email protected]
 
Mail: P.O. Box 69
        Waverly, MN 55390
 
Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW
              Waverly, MN 55390

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
[email protected]
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 4:29 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Pre-action abort

Question one: Why? 
Question two: At what stage of system response do you want to abort?

There is no mention anywhere in NFPA 13 about the allowance or disallowance
of an abort switch.  I just can't see where anyone would be quick enough to
get to it if something in the system started an operation anyway.  

With all the delays already built in to a double interlock system what in
the world could another interruption accomplish?

I would not be in favor of it.  But for the sake of curiosity, what's the
application and reasoning behind the question?

Craig L. Prahl, CET   
Fire Protection Specialist
Mechanical Department
CH2MHILL
Lockwood Greene
1500 International Drive
PO Box 491, Spartanburg, SC  29304-0491
Direct - 864.599.4102
Fax - 864.599.8439
[email protected]
http://www.ch2m.com 


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Chris Cahill
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 5:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Pre-action abort

Can one have an abort button on a double interlock pre-action
(electric/pneumatic)?  I'm assuming it would be like on a clean agent
system.  PE hasn't got back to us (don't really expect him to, not a
surprise).  

 

Chris Cahill, P.E.

Fire Protection Engineer

Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.

 

763-658-4483

763-658-4921 fax

 

Email: [email protected]

 

Mail: P.O. Box 69

        Waverly, MN 55390

 

Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW

              Waverly, MN 55390

 

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to