Aw Ron, you're just being cynical.  None of that would ever happen.    <wink> 


Craig L. Prahl, CET   
Fire Protection Specialist
Mechanical Department
CH2MHILL
Lockwood Greene
1500 International Drive
PO Box 491, Spartanburg, SC  29304-0491
Direct - 864.599.4102
Fax - 864.599.8439
[email protected]
http://www.ch2m.com 


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ron Greenman
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 12:00 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Pre-action abort

Then there's the alternative means and methods clause which pretty much allows 
someone to decide gasoline in the pipes to keep them new and shiny is OK as 
long as the AHJ approves it. Now gasoline is an obvious no-no even when the AHJ 
is the dog catcher by day, crime fighter by night & AHJ by hobby, but what 
about an abort switch if Mr.
PE says it's OK? Even a semi-savvy, over-worked AHJ might think water damage in 
this "server" room might be devastating. The double interlock pre-action system 
is obviously better than single (even though designed originally for freezer 
warehouses--essentially an extra slow dry pipe) and way superior to wet--that 
is if your goal is to not stop fires but rather stop water damage. Then the 
abort switch makes even more sense and allows the stockroom clerk, who is, 
after all, on the scene, to make decisions about fire protection during an 
emergency situation. And then there's the precedence of an abort switch on the 
wonder gas system. Isn't the presence of the wonder gas successfully used over 
and over to argue against the need for sprinklers in rooms containing 
computers? The AHJ described above, not savvy to UL 864 (after all, what does a 
fire alarm panel listing protocol have to do with fire sprinklers?), just might 
be happy to defer to the "educational" and "professional" credentials of Mr. PE.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Thom McMahon <[email protected]> wrote:
> This appears to be a poorly worded or badly written/copied spec. Not 
> an unusual occurrence when non FPE's are involved with the Fire 
> Protection. I'd bid the job as I would normally install it, and where 
> is say's "Per plans and spec's" I note "Exceptions taken" If you are 
> the low bidder, they'll call and ask what your exceptions are. If 
> you're not low bidder, they won't be calling anyway.
>
> Thom McMahon, SET
> Firetech, Inc.
> 2560 Copper Ridge Dr
> P.O. Box 882136
> Steamboat Springs, CO 80488
> Tel:  970-879-7952
> Fax: 970-879-7926
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected]
> [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Chris 
> Cahill
> Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 4:09 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Pre-action abort
>
> Reasoning from a non-sprinkler proficient PE?  That's self 
> explanatory.  I haven't the foggiest idea why one would want it.  As I 
> said won't return calls, bid due shortly.  We're talking 10 PC's in a 
> training classroom, college like, 2400 sq.ft.  Then there is a second 
> PA in a comm. room that is 300 sq.ft. which I imagine is the servers 
> to run said PC's and connect to the WWW.  Why both rooms aren't on the same 
> PA I don't know that either.
> Suspect PE is working of % of contract.  Also, local gov't work isn't 
> allowed to be cheap so when wet system prices fall something has to be 
> added so we last few taxpayers get our moneys worth? This ain't no 
> billion dollar server farm. There is also a clean agent someplace but 
> I don't know where and not my scope of work so I really don't care.  
> But adds to the oddity of it all.
>
> Spec reads like a FM-200 or the like but is clearly for the double 
> interlock PA.  "1. Upon activation of smoke detector energize 
> predischarge strobe and bell.  2. Activate a time delay sequence and enable 
> abort sequence.  3.
> Abort station shall reset the 30 second time delay."
>
> Now technically he never specs an electric/pneumatic.  Could always do 
> pneumatic/pneumatic to solve the problem.
>
> I don't like it either but before I start a fight I want to know which 
> side I'm on. (And just because I might be on the losing side code wise 
> doesn't mean I won't start it anyway).
>
> Chris Cahill, P.E.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: 
> [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email 
> to:[email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>



--
Ron Greenman
at home....
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to