I can really see that coming when you sit down and think about the water you
use and waste.  1 bldg. for instance: Just the 19 flrs above and 6 below we
probably use 12K gal per quarter.  Then the pump test and I'm frugal and
fast but you still end up using 6K.  In 3 years when every pr hose valve has
to be done, holy moly.  They have grey water; roof drains are used for
toilets.  I asked, and posted here, but more science will have to be done to
treat the yuck in the water for reuse.  I don't really see the wfs
recirculators being used too much around here but they're definitely a help.

Looked at a pump yesterday with a relief dripping into the parking lot.
It's from the time when they put them in to guard against overspeed.  The
pump churned 165 so they really didn't need it but I suggested they have the
controller rep come in and see about installing an overspeed alarm.  The
easy was to just remove it but not really.  I was surprised actually because
the installing company were famous for piping them to suction but they must
have had an engineer who looked at the shops and went to the site.
Tom


Apart from water departments not liking 250K gal going down the storm
drain w/o compensation we have a new consciousness everywhere (no
longer just in the West) about water conservation and so this stuff
just looks bad. We are behind the curve and I think we'll be seeing a
move to install break tanks, not full demand mind you, but sufficient
for recirculating the test water on all commercial buildings with
pumps. Increased upfront costs but figure 250K gals/year X building
life of wasted water (that will be metered and paid for eventually)
per every fire pump in the nation (presuming an average of 250K and
regular testing per 25) or as an adjusted average for pump capacities
and typical frequencies. Still a big bucket of water being lost.

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to