Jamie, Might I suggest changing your habit of saying "remote" area with the more proper and less confusing term "design" area. Remote more properly refers to the furthest distance from a DPV for the inspector's test connection. Back in the olden days, when most sprinklers went into manufacturing and warehousing facilities, big, open buildings with tree systems and typically uniform branch lines, the "remote" area and the "design" area typically were the same, but that doesn't always hold true these days. Additionally, until you're sure there is only one then "design area(s)" is even more apropos. Don't get me wrong. I do the same thing on occasion. Old habits are hard to break, but I try to be cognitive of the fact that every time I use "remote" I'm inferring something I really don't mean.
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Jamie.seidl <[email protected]> wrote: > You need to calculate the most hydraulically remote 4 heads. This is > typically a loaded branch line that supplies a bedroom on the end of the > line. For instance (20x20 * (400 sqft) @ .10 gpm = 40 gpm). This end head > pressure will act on the rest of the heads on the BL, closets, bathroom, > hallway so your total demand on a BL can be upwards of 160 gpm, depending on > configuration of the unit. Keep in mind, you can mix K factors in > residential occupancies to balance the hydraulics and minimize over discharge. > > Jamie > Sent from my iPhone > > On Oct 29, 2010, at 7:24 PM, Carrol Glimstad <[email protected]> > wrote: > >> I'm designing a residential project using res. heads (LFII) and designing to >> full NFPA 13. When I calc my four heads using the "design area", I am >> wondering >> if I can use the room design method to determine my sprinkler demand? For >> instance, I have a room that measures 16' X 16', (256 sq. ft.) but the head >> is >> actually located 10 feet off of the 2 adjacent far walls. If using the flow >> rates from the chart I know that I need to flow 20 gpm from that head based >> on >> my maximum 20' x 20' spacing. But If I'm using the .10 over the "design >> area" >> can I just use the demand of 25.6 gpm for that head (16' x 16' sq. ft.) >> versus >> the 40 gpm based on 20' x 20'? I understand then I would then base my system >> requirements on the more demanding of the two methods. I can flow all four >> heads at a 20 gpm no problem, but the 40 gpm from just one head.....ouch! >> I haven't done residential in a looooong time, so thought I'd check for the >> heck >> of it and I'm pretty sure I'll find instead that I'm full of it! >> Thanks in advance! >> >> Carrol Glimstad >> >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Sprinklerforum mailing list >> [email protected] >> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum >> >> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected] >> >> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected] >> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field) > _______________________________________________ > Sprinklerforum mailing list > [email protected] > http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum > > For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected] > > To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected] > (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field) > -- Ron Greenman Instructor Fire Protection Engineering Technology Bates Technical College 1101 So. Yakima Ave. Tacoma, WA 98405 [email protected] http://www.bates.ctc.edu/fireprotection/ 253.680.7346 253.576.9700 (cell) Member: AFSA, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, NFSA, AFAA, ASEE, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC They are happy men whose natures sort with their vocations. -Francis Bacon, essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626) _______________________________________________ Sprinklerforum mailing list [email protected] http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected] To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected] (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
