I had an interesting comment from an architect yesterday on a project I am
working on.
Wood frame building with 12" open web trusses. Due to the floor/ceiling
assembly rating, we won't have the minimum 12" to use concealed space
sprinklers due to the batt insulation between the floors. Accounting for the
insulation, we have approximately 9" of clear space. When the manufactures
were contacted, they confirmed that this would be outside the listing of the
concealed space sprinkler. We suggested to the contractor that he fill the
truss space with insulation per NFPA 13. The RFI came back answered "The
exception in NFPA for filling the concealed space with insulations ins
technically not permitted by IBC and is not practically effective."
While I haven't begun to make the point that the sprinkler protection/spray
pattern wouldn't be "practically effective" in this situation and violate the
listings, is any one aware of the IBC not allowing the elimination of sprinkler
protection in a combustible concealed space where the space is filled with
insulation?
Thanks,
Jamie Seidl
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/private/sprinklerforum/attachments/20120524/362544e1/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum