I see a paradox when thought about together, from a modeling standpoint-- if
I want to make a head activate faster I can; 1) make the fire bigger, 2)
move the head closer to the fire (lower the ceiling), or 3) put the head
closer to other heads (reduce the spacing). Since OH fires are hotter than
LH fires the head activation takes longer for LH, so I should space LH heads
closer together and OH heads could be spaced farther apart, but this is
backwards as far as coverage in terms of density goes! 

-----Original Message-----
From: rongreenman . [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 9:52 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Spacing Rules

I'd like to start a general conversation, no particular question, about
which spacing rules people seem to think are based on heat collection,
coverage, and/or both. I have a feeling that a lot of rules we attribute to
coverage, and then try massage into inductive logic argument, really have
more to do with meeting listing criteria for detection.

-- 
Ron Greenman
Instructor
Fire Protection Engineering Technology
Bates Technical College
1101 So. Yakima Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98405

[email protected]

http://www.bates.ctc.edu/fireprotection/

253.680.7346
253.576.9700 (cell)

Member:
ASEE, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, AFSA, NFSA, AFAA, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC, WFSC

They are happy men whose natures sort with their vocations. -Francis Bacon,
essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to