>From a modeling point in attempting to reflect reality, we can only address 
>activation of the first sprinkler. As such drop reducing the spacing. We 
>should add reducing the distance between the deflector and the ceiling.  A 
>more meaningful reference for activation is in regard to the same RHR point 
>for the different fire curves.

I believe, as Ron F said, it's all about activation.  A big variance does exist 
without a change in design criteria such as between unobstructed construction 
with a sprinkler 2" down from the ceiling verses obstructed construction and  a 
sprinkler 22" below the ceiling.  Nonetheless, regardless of what we think 
since none of us were there when the TC concocted these particular rules, it 
will be a challenge to arrive at a solid, defendable conclusion.  That's never 
stopped us before so damn the torpedoes,  full steam ahead.

Roland

Roland Huggins, PE - VP Engineering
American Fire Sprinkler Assn.       ---      Fire Sprinklers Saves Lives
Dallas, TX
http://www.firesprinkler.org





On Oct 2, 2013, at 8:43 AM, Brad Casterline <[email protected]> wrote:

> I see a paradox when thought about together, from a modeling standpoint-- if
> I want to make a head activate faster I can; 1) make the fire bigger, 2)
> move the head closer to the fire (lower the ceiling), or 3) put the head
> closer to other heads (reduce the spacing). Since OH fires are hotter than
> LH fires the head activation takes longer for LH, so I should space LH heads
> closer together and OH heads could be spaced farther apart, but this is
> backwards as far as coverage in terms of density goes! 

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to