If you can shift the sprinkler to be 3'6" off the upper soffit it would work
or install a 401 style escutcheon, but I'm assuming you can't do that.
Depending on the room situation you can install the head in the soffit and
use 8.6.4.1.1.3 (07ed) but you are still going to need another head in the
9'-0" ceiling to use this code. If it is a ceiling pocket you could use
8.6.7 (07ed) as long as the pocket is under 1000cuft but you would need a
second head in the opposite wall's soffit.



Jerry Van Kolken
Millennium Fire Protection
(760) 722-2722

-----Original Message-----
From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Todd - Work
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:04 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: stepped obstructions

I have a situation where I have a stepped obstruction against a wall. The
occupancy is Light Hazard. The primary ceiling is 9'. There is a 4' wide
soffit against a wall that is 1' lower. Under that soffit, there is one that
is 1'-10" wide that sticks down an additional 1'. I presently have a
sprinkler in the high area that is 3'-2" from the edge of the higher soffit.


A sprinkler is going to be required under the under the first soffit because
the sprinkler in the high area cannot protect underneath it based on section
8.6.5.1.2(1) (NFPA 13 - 2002). However, the sprinkler in the high area can
protect under the lower soffit per section 8.6.5.1.2(3). Can I install a
sprinkler under the upper soffit and call it a day?

Todd G Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, CT
www.fpdc.com
860-535-2080 (ofc)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to